Wednesday 12 September 2012

San Francisco- the best place in the world?

Telegraph Hill

Me, I really dont like cities, London?, hate it, Cairo, despise it and so it goes on.
I am not a city person.
So why could it be that of all the places I have seen in the world San Francisco is the place I love more than any other?

There are many reasons to love San Francisco, the architecture, both man made and natural, complimenting each other rather than battling for space (just look at the redwood grove surrounding the Transamerica pyramid to see what I mean)
 The art, oh my, the art, every where you look there is an expression of someone's ideas in paint, sculpture, music and so much more, such a creative place I have never known
 The food (why there aren't more fat 'Friscans I shall never know, I swear I could eat an amazing meal in a different place three times a day for five years at least!)
The open spaces, so many parks, there are even gardens in the sky, overhanging balconies of the skyscrapers
The people, never have I felt so welcomed in a place that is so new to me, the people are nothing short of amazing, everyone, it seems has time to chat, everyone is pleased to meet you and there is so much , well, LIFE about the city.

Tony Bennett once sang about leaving his heart in San Francisco, and I suspect that countless others feel the same way.
'You know its going to be a good day when you wake up in San Francisco'- one of my favourite quotes, was it Herb Caen that said it?, I'm not too sure, but it's always stuck with me.

 This is the place I was brought to by the love of my life, this we share, just the two of us and we will never stop coming back here, one day, to settle.

For these and so many more reasons, I think San Francisco will always be my favourite place on this planet.

1 comment:

  1. Paradise-a city with more layers than an onion, and I a always hard pressed to think of what I like best about it. Your words rang very true ...

    ReplyDelete