Friday 26 October 2012

Building a chopper part two, thoughts on welding

It may be a while 'til my axle plates are ready, so I thought I'd write a little about how I plan to nail the beast together

My intention is to MIG weld the new rear frame together, there are a number of reasons for this as follows

1 (and most importantly) I know how to mig weld properly, in my case this means I've been trained to a relatively high standard.
( understanding the theory and being capable of putting it into practice is essential when working on structural components, metal fatigue fractures can move at several metres a second!)

2 mig welding equipment is relatively cheap ( I do mean relatively, buying the cheapest hobby welder you can find isn't the way to go, you get what you pay for, a better quality welder will yield better results every time)
I use the most powerful Clarke welder that a domestic power supply can cope with, it's a very good welder

3 I already own the equipment I plan to use

A lot of people prefer to use TIG welding, and if you have the knowledge and access to the relevant equipment that's great, it's probably the most common system used professionally
Personally, I've never had the opportunity to learn TIG, so MIG it shall be.

As a side note, MIG is a good place to start for someone wanting to learn how to weld, RELATIVELY cheap(see above) and RELATIVELY simple to learn (note RELATIVELY!)

Of course, someone just learning won't be trying to construct frames from scratch, not unless they're bored of living, that'd come under the heading of 'A VERY BAD IDEA'

There are drawbacks when using MIG, it produces a very high, localised heat which can cause significant distortion as the metal expands and if allowed to cool too fast, brittle welds can occur, this would be A VERY BAD THING on a frame!

Luckily, there's a simple solution to this, heating up not just the area being worked on but further out as well until the metal just begins to glow yellow and then immediately welding will minimise distortion and allow the metal to cool slower.
Another good idea is to weld evenly (ie doing both top tubes rather than doing both tubes on the right)
The logic for this is that any distortion should be equal, minimising the chances of pulling the wheels out of line( another very bad thing when it comes to motorcycles!)

Ok, so now I'm impatient to begin, where are my axle plates??!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joseph, thanks for the compliment
    The link you left doesn't seem to work though

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s right. When it comes to welding equipment, you really get the price you pay for. Someone who has gained a lot of experience and insight about welding should know this. You must consider the weight of its work. I think the only thing you shouldn’t invest much money on is a welding curtain. It’s an essential for safety though.

    ReplyDelete